On Wednesday, November 28, 2018, nine students were recognized at a dinner ceremony at Southwest Technical College (Southwest Tech) in Cedar City, Utah. Students were selected by their faculty members for their outstanding academic achievements. In addition, all nine students were inducted into the National Technical Honor Society.
The students recognized as the Student of the Year for their departments are:
- Richard (Drake) Hunt – Computer Science (Software Development)
- Kyra Bracken – Medical Clinical Assistant
- Anthony (AJ) Largo – Industrial Maintenance and Automation
- Bertha Garcia – Business
- Chevy Spencer – Automotive Technician
- James Bowman – Culinary Arts
- Branden Mortensen – Professional Truck Driving
- Audrey Calloway – Health Professions (EMT, Phlebotomy, Nursing Assistant)
The dinner ceremony highlighted a video of each student which can be watched here. At the conclusion of the event, Brenda Hosto was recognized as the overall 2018 Southwest Tech Student of the Year. Brenda will have the opportunity in 2019 to be recognized in Salt Lake City along with other students selected from technical colleges in the state of Utah. Brenda graduated from the Welding Certificate Programs at Southwest Tech and is currently continuing her education in the Automotive Technician Program.