Southwest Tech is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination. No otherwise qualified person may be excluded from participation in or be subjected to discrimination in any course, program, or activity because of race, age, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, or disability.  Student Services and the College Disability Services staff provide accommodations and support to assist students with disabilities.

Students interested in applying for these accommodations should meet with Cyndie Tracy, Academic Advisor/ADA Coordinator (435.865.3944; in the Student Services office. While no specialized curriculum is offered, it is the role of the College Student Services office to coordinate services and resources to qualifying students. The first step for a student seeking services is to complete an application for services and resources then meet with your Advisor.  The application for services and resources can be downloaded as a PDF, or it can be completed online here.

For scholarship opportunities for students with disabilities, please visit the Disability Scholarships A-to-Z Website.

Q: What does the application process require of me?
A: You will be asked to provide information about your disability. You will be asked to provide documentation that includes a diagnosis of a disability that is age appropriate (this tells the Counselor about your current level of functioning) and lists specifically how functions are limited and specific recommendations for accommodations. The documentation required must be conducted by a licensed professional such as a medical doctor, psychologist or other qualified diagnostician.

Q: I have an IEP (Individualized Education Plan) that was used in high school. Will that provide what is required for documentation in my post-secondary program?
A: No. While the IEP may help identify what services were provided in high school, and it provides a record of your disability, it is not enough to meet the requirements of your post-secondary institution. A helpful article for students preparing for post-secondary education was prepared by the Office of Civil Rights and is available on the OCR website via the U.S. Department of Education.

Q: How do my accommodations work with third-party testing required for my program?
A: A request for accommodations with online or third-party vendors is separate from the request you make for our campus. It is your responsibility to research and comply with the requirements of each testing vendor. You may be required to provide additional documentation to each vendor. Please see Student Services for assistance prior to any required testing.

We have gathered some links for your use:



Q: Who is responsible for paying for evaluations or re-evaluations of my disability?
A: The student is responsible to provide verification of disability and to pay for evaluations. If a student is working with a rehabilitation agency, he/she should request that the information regarding diagnosis, functional limitations and appropriate recommendations for accommodations be provided, if possible, through that agency.

Q: Whom do I talk to if I think I am being discriminated against?
A: If you feel that you are being discriminated against, for any reason, and you cannot resolve your concerns immediately through self-advocacy in your training environment, you are encouraged to see a member of the College Counseling Team in Student Services. You can ask to see your program Counselor or the first Counselor available to review your concerns and talk about what to do. If your informal efforts to resolve your concerns are not working out, you can talk to your Counselor about the Student Grievance Policy. Students may also wish to contact the Office of Civil Rights if they cannot resolve their concerns on campus.

A variety of services appropriate for qualifying disabilities may include, but not limited to:

  • Appropriate classroom adaptations or accommodations
  • Note takers or readers
  • Testing accommodations
  • Taped textbooks
  • Braille or large print materials
  • Specialized equipment like screen reading software, screen enlargements, etc.
  • Sign language interpreter services
  • Study skills, test taking strategy, and learning style classes
  • Specialized software
  • Campus counseling and referral to community services
  • Other services

Southwest Tech is fully committed to policies of non-discrimination and equal opportunity and vigorously pursues equality and diversity goals in all programs, activities and employment. In compliance with Title VI and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vocational Amendments of 1976 and the American with Disabilities Act, College programs and activities are open to all qualified students without regard to race, age, color, religion, sex, national origin, or disability. If you feel you have been discriminated against, please talk to a Counselor in Student Services. You may contact the Office for Civil Rights if you are unable to resolve your concerns on campus.

Please complete this entire application and attach all required documentation. Return pages 1-4 to Student Services on our campus. If you need assistance completing this application, please ask for assistance.


Schedule an appointment