Frequently Asked Questions

You have questions. We have answers.

Do you take walk-ins?

Certainly! Just drop by our main campus located at 757 W 800 S, Cedar City, UT. Our office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday, and 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Friday.

How do I sign up for courses?

To become a student and sign up for courses, click here and follow the steps of our Enrollment Checklist.

If you are interested in short community courses, click here.

Do I need a high school diploma to be admitted?

No. A high school diploma is not an admissions requirement.

Do you offer the GED test?

We have a Testing Center located on our campus, and provide a variety of tests including GED testing! Click Here to visit our Testing Center page.

What hours is Student Services open?

Our office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday, and 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Friday.

How much will the Southwest Tech program cost?

Adults who attend Southwest Tech pay tuition based on the number of hours for which they are enrolled each month. Tuition is $2.00 per hour. Adult students also pay all applicable fees.

High school students do not pay tuition; however, the majority of courses require students to pay applicable fees. Fees may include the cost of:

  • Study guides and books
  • Consumable supplies
  • Specialized clothing
  • Equipment and tools

Why is the cost so low?

When the Utah State Legislature created the Utah System of Technical Colleges (UTech), they mandated that UTech provide low-cost training to adults and not charge tuition to high school students.

How long does it take to complete my training?

The length of time to complete training is completely dependent on the program chosen. In many programs, the length of training depends on the student’s own flexibility and pace based on the open-entry, competency-based format.

Do you guarantee me a job when I complete my training?

Getting the job is up to you. We do have good contacts with local employers and will assist you in your job search.

What are the high school students doing at Southwest Tech?

High school students are allowed to take technical education courses from Southwest Tech as part of their high school program. Students come from Canyon View, Cedar, and Parowan high schools to attend college classes. The Southwest Educational Academy (SEA), Iron County School District’s alternate high school, also has students attending Southwest Tech.

What do you mean by open-entry, competency-based education?

Open-entry means you can start most courses any day; you don’t have to wait for the beginning of a semester because Southwest Tech is not based on a semester system. In open-entry courses, your schedule ends once the prescribed number of hours for that course has elapsed. Competency-based means that if you prove mastery in an open-entry course prior to the prescribed number of hours for the course, that course is complete and you may move on to the next course.

Do I receive anything when I complete my program?

As part of the Utah System of Higher Education, Southwest Tech is responsible for providing applied technology education that results in appropriate licensing, certification, or skill training to qualify students for specific employment. Southwest Tech offers a broad range of long-term and short-term certificate training.

What makes Southwest Tech different from other state colleges?

Southwest Tech does not operate on a traditional semester calendar. Our open-entry enrollment approach allows students to enter as openings occur. Students enter a program with the goal of obtaining a marketable skill, taking only the courses that lead to that goal. A student who has prior knowledge, learns quickly, and works hard is encouraged to move ahead and complete courses at optimum speed.

Will my courses transfer to another educational institution?

High school students who work through their high school counselors may receive high school credit upon successful completion of most courses. Southwest Technical College also has a dual enrollment agreement with Southern Utah University, in which several courses at Southwest Tech will automatically count towards SUU credit. For more information on this dual enrollment partnership, click here.

What degrees are offered?

Southwest Tech does not currently award traditional college degrees.

Is Southwest Tech accredited?

Southwest Technical College is accredited by the Commission of the Council on Occupational Education. Information regarding accreditation may be obtained at:

Council on occupational education

7840 Roswell Road, Building 300, Suite 325, Atlanta, GA 30350
Telephone (local): 770-396-3898
Fax: 770-396-3790

Do you offer financial aid?

Currently, Southwest Tech is able to offer financial aid through funds to those who qualify through the Federal Government’s Pell Grant program. Please keep in mind that federal financial aid is limited to eligible programs. Southwest Tech also has a scholarship program and considers applications monthly. Some students receive tuition assistance through the Deseret Industries, Department of Workforce Services, Paiute Indian Tribe of Utah, Vocational Rehabilitation, or the Veterans Administration. Click here for financial aid resources.

I'm Graduating from high school. How do I enroll?

Enrolling as a graduated/graduating high school student is easy! Just call us at 435-586-2899 and talk to our enrollment technicians, click HERE to fill out an application, or Check our our GET STARTED webpage.