Emergency Medical Technician – Basic
Want to be a lifesaver? Jump into the world of emergency medicine feet first at Southwest Technical College. The EMT – Basic Program provides practical, clinical, and observational experiences. This program equips you with the ability to handle adrenaline pumping situations while providing the best care for patients. Learn how to assess the needs of patients, check vital signs, and administer medications. In addition to the classroom setting, you will also experience ambulance ride-alongs. The course schedule is demanding and the rigor will prepare you to sit for licensure in the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians Certification.
How long does it take?
(Approx. 3 months)
How much does it cost?
When can I get started?
What careers can I get?
- 911 EMS Service
- Transport Ambulance Service
- Emergency Room Technician
For more information on gainful employment details, please click here.
- 18 years of age within 120 days of class ending date
- Copy of state or federal issued identification
- Two screenings of “2-step” TB tests with negative results, or QuantiFeron with negative results
- One dose of Hepatitis B vaccine
- One dose of Tdap vaccine after age 10
- One dose of current influenza vaccine (Oct-Feb enrollments)
- BLS for HCP CPR or ARC Professional CPR certification, current through practicum experiences