VA & GI Bill®

We value your service and encourage you to use your education benefits at Southwest Technical College. Veterans and active reservists may qualify for funding, as well as qualified spouses or children of veterans who died in service. All Southwest Tech programs excluding apprenticeships qualify for funding.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

How to apply for Post 9/11, Montgomery GI Bill®, Chapter 35, and Chapter 1606 benefits

  • Apply online HERE
  • Or apply by mail with a paper application available HERE (If you apply by mail, please bring copies of all applicable forms with you during your enrollment meeting)
  • To inquire about qualifications for VA funding, click this link here or call 1-888-442-4551
  • Click Here For Frequently Asked Questions about the VRAP program click here.
  • Review the Chapter 4 – Benefits from the Federal Benefits for Veterans, Dependents and Survivors handbook.
  • Be prepared! Gather your documentation before you begin.
  • VA educational benefits are paid to you. You must pay for your educational costs according to our payment policies.

What you’ll need to start your benefits

What to bring with you to your appointment

If you apply by mail - the required forms are here

Applications for Veterans (Self)

  • Form 22-1990 Application for VA Education Benefits (First time use of benefits)
  • Form 22-1995 Request for Change of program or Place of Training (Benefits previously used)

Applications for Survivors’ and Dependents’ (Under Provisions of Chapter 35, Title 38, U.S.C.)

You may also be eligible for licensure test reimbursement. Click here for more details.

VRAP Applications

Please visit eBenefits to apply. Remember, to complete the application you will need to know your direct deposit information (bank routing number and account number), the name and location of your school, the program you wish to pursue, and the applicable high demand occupation.

While you are attending...You Must Verify Attendance

You need to verify your attendance every month before payment is issued if you are attending an Institution of Higher Learning (IHL) or Non-College Degree (NCD) program and are receiving one of the following:

  • Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty
  • Montgomery GI Bill® – Selected Reserve
  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program – REAP
  • Veterans Retraining Assistance Program – VRAP

Click here to enter the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) to verify your enrollment online. You can also call 1-877 VA-ECERT (1-877-823-2378) to verify by telephone.


How long will it take before I receive my benefits?

It can take up to two months for the VA to begin paying your benefits.

What are the academic standards for VA educational benefit eligibility?

For non-VA Rehab benefits, 80% monthly attendance and 70% cumulative progress.

Who do I speak with if I have questions about housing allowance, etc?

Contact the VA Educational Office at (888) 442-4551.

Which benefit is best for me?

Contact the VA Educational Office at (888) 442-4551.

Resources from the Veteran's Administration

My Next Move for Veterans

Brochures from the VA Administration


Employment Resources for Veterans
There are many federal jobs that give preference to hiring retired military members. This site provides information on what these positions are, as well as resources for job training.

Financial Resources for American Veterans
This resource from offers helpful ideas for finding support for a variety of circumstances that may be keeping you from accomplishing your financial goals.

How Service and Therapy Dogs are Helping PTSD Victims
This guide discusses the many benefits that specially-trained PTSD service dogs provide to their two-legged companions, as well as resources for finding one of your own.

The Gary Sinise Foundation
The distinguished actor has added “advocate to veterans everywhere” to his resume by building homes and providing home modifications to disabled war veterans – services which are free of charge.

The National Center on Homelessness Among Veterans (NCHAV)
This division of the VA works to provide care and compassion for veterans who are homeless or at-risk for homelessness.

A Guide to Cremation and Burial for Veterans: Pre-Planning, Financial Benefits, and Everything You Need to Know for Making Proper Final Arrangements
This research-based guide provides a wealth of information to veterans and their loved ones on making affordable and honorable final arrangements.